Main Menu


Home Reporting Sexual Misconduct Mandatory Reporters

Mandatory Reporters

Who Are Responsible Employees and Who Are Campus Security Authorities?

Responsible employees and Campus security authorities (CSAs) have different obligations. Responsible employees are defined by Title IX and CSAs are defined under the Clery Act. Though certain people/positions may be both, the concepts and requirements are different. On our campus, responsible employees are required to report any information about possible sexual misconduct or discrimination to the OEO/AA. CSAs are required to report crimes that occurred on campus to campus police.

Responsible employees are university employees, including students in paid leadership positions, who are required to report sexual misconduct to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action per university regulations. Examples of responsible employees include:

  • Professors and other faculty
  • Administration and staff (non-mental health)
  • Resident advisors
  • Student employees
  • Campus police or campus security officials
  • Athletic coaches/assistants

Campus security authorities are university employees who have significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including but not limited to student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings and are designated to receive and report criminal incidents to the University of Utah Police Department.

Resources for Responsible Employees/Mandatory Reporters:

Tips on how to respond if someone discloses an issue of sexual misconduct to you:

  1. If safety is an immediate concern, call 9-1-1 or University Police at 801-585-2677.
  2. Let the person notifying you know that you are a mandatory reporter and under university policy you are required to inform the Title IX coordinator of the incident. Let the survivor know that you and the Title IX coordinator will preserve their privacy and that they can file a complaint through Title IX (OEO/AA), if they wish.

Examples of what to say:

  • I am required to report this information so the university can provide support for your safety and ensure you have information about your options.
  • A victim advocate or the Title IX coordinator will be reaching out to you. As part of that process, you have the right to choose to whom you may speak, what resources you use and what you say.
  • The information you share with me and the Title IX coordinator is private and will only be shared on a need-to-know basis.
  1. Start by believing. It isn’t your job to investigate the issue. Suspend any judgement and avoid victim-blaming. Victim-blaming includes placing any portion of the blame, no matter how small, on the person who experienced the misconduct. Listen and use supportive phrases, such as, “I’m so sorry this happened to you” and “I want to help you get support through this,” etc.
  2. Refer the survivor to campus resources such as the victim advocates, the University Counseling Center or the Women’s Resource Center. They can make sure the survivor knows exactly what resources and options are available to them after experiencing sexual misconduct. More information on resources for survivors can be found here.
  3. Report the information to the Title IX coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 801-581-8365.

For more information on how to respond, visit these pages:

Reports of sexual misconduct are processed through the Title IX coordinator, located in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action. Contact the Title IX coordinator to file a report.

University of Utah Title IX Coordinator: Sherrie Hayashi
Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
201 S. President’s Circle, Room 135
Salt Lake City, UT 84112


Find More Campus and Community Resources for Survivors

(Link to Counseling and Support page)


Click or press 'ESC'
to leave page quickly.

Crisis Services

24-hour hotlines for information and support | If you are in immediate crisis or feel unsafe, call 911.

Department of Public Safety

NON-EMERGENCIES: 801-585-2677

Rape Recovery Center Crisis Line


Huntsman Mental Health Institute